Join us for Chalk It Up October 10, 2020 from 10-4pm. More information to come!
2019 Theme: Sustainability
We’re all in this together! Artpace is committed to a sustainable future by reducing waste and increasing efficiency at Chalk It Up, a Platinum Certified Event from the City of San Antonio’s Office of Sustainability. We invite TeamWorks, Artists, and community members to envision a better future with us by creating original murals along Houston St and Main Ave on October 12 that adhere to this year’s theme.
How is Chalk It Up is Sustainable?
Artists from all walks of life create murals about their organizations and businesses along Houston Street and Main Avenue, led by YOU! Get in on the fun in the community-created H-E-B Freestyle mural.
Image: Emily Fleisher completing her artwork in 2016.
Our Featured artists are some of the city’s best, and they play a prominent role in the success and enjoyment of Chalk It Up. Artists from across San Antonio create compelling, original murals on Houston Street & Main Avenue. You don’t want to miss these professionals at play!
Some of San Antonio’s finest mobile restauranteurs will park their food trucks in the Centro Park Food Court to offer fresh local food to hungry chalk artists of all ages.
The Argo Main Stage features a great lineup curated by KRTU 91.7 Jazz. The stage is centrally located on Main Avenue & Houston Street and features live music from a range of local musical artists.
Let your creative genius run wild in the H-E-B Freestyle Zones. We’ll provide chalk and plenty of blank canvas along Houston St and Main Ave; you bring the artwork. This is the one time you’re allowed to play in the street!
Engage your body and mind with one of our creative community partners. Make a giant chalk spirograph drawing with Chalka Khan, learn how to spin records with AM Project, and more!
Want to make art and make a difference as a sponsor? Contact Lisa Halff.
Chalk It Up Sponsorship
Interested in joining the impactful list of sponsors to the right? Corporate and individual sponsorship underwrites the festival for tens of thousands of San Antonians, while keeping Artpace education and community outreach initiatives well funded. We hope you’ll consider joining the team.
For more information about sponsorship, or to commit to sponsor Artpace Chalk It Up 2019, please contact Lisa Halff at email@example.com.
This free, family-friendly event is made possible by community support—by YOUR support—so please consider being a part of this year’s production of Chalk It Up. Plus, you’ll snag a FREE, artist-designed t-shirt for helping out!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Artpace Chalk It Up (October 12, 2019 from 10 am – 4 pm).
Online volunteer registration is now closed. To volunteer at the event, please register at the volunteer check-in in the Artpace Courtyard, 445 N Main Ave. Enter on Savings St.
If you have questions, please contact our volunteer coordinator, Elizabeth Griego at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each year Team Works artists play a significant role in Artpace Chalk It Up by creating an original design in chalk, rendered directly on an 8 x 10-foot sidewalk canvas along downtown Houston Street and newly renovated Main Avenue. Team Works artists can be educators, students, and members of schools, universities, or non-profit cultural and community organizations.
What do you need to know?
- Artpace Chalk It Up takes place on downtown Houston Street on Saturday, October 12, 2019.
- Each team can have a maximum of 10 participants.
- Your $50 registration fee includes one 8 x 10-foot sidewalk “canvas” and four 24-piece packs of multicolored artist pastels (chalk).
- The registration deadline is 5pm on Friday, September 13, 2019.
- Upon complete registration and payment, you will receive notice of your acceptance. Teams are accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
- If you need to cancel your registration, we require notification by Friday, September 27, 2019 for a 50% refund of your registration fee.
- All Team Works leaders are required to attend a meeting at Artpace on Tuesday, October 8, 2019, at 5:30pm. This is when you can ask questions, meet other Team Works leaders, learn new chalking techniques, and be acquainted with all facets of the event.
TeamWorks registration for 2019 is now full. Thanks and see you on October 12!
Questions? Contact Ashley Mireles at email@example.com or 210.212.4900.
Each year Featured Artists play a significant role in Chalk It Up (CIU) by creating an original design in chalk, rendered directly on a sidewalk canvas along Main Avenue and Houston Street. A mandatory Featured Artist orientation for all participating artists will be at Artpace (445 N. Main Avenue) on Tuesday, October 8, at 5:30 PM. Free parking is available at the Artpace parking lot at 513 N. Flores.
We ask that artists take into consideration the family-friendly nature of this event, taking note that the general public—all ages, backgrounds, and levels of experience with art—will be viewing this work. Additionally, we ask artists to refrain from provocative or charged imagery, ensuring the wider appeal of a diverse audience.
What do you need to know about Artpace Chalk It Up?
- Artpace Chalk It Up takes place on downtown Main Avenue and Houston Street on Saturday, October 12, 2019, from 10am–4pm. This year’s theme is Sustainability.
- Artists are asked to report and begin creating their artwork by 8am.
- CIU is Artpace’s largest community event.
- Featured Artists each have space to accommodate a 4’ x 6’ sidewalk mural along Main Avenue. Artpace provides the space and chalk for artists.
- A mandatory Featured Artist orientation for all selected participating artists will be at Artpace (445 N. Main Avenue) on Tuesday, October 8, at 5:30 PM. Free parking is available at the Artpace parking lot at 513 N. Flores.
- Artists are invited to join the Chalk It Up Press Conference on Wednesday, October 9th at 10:30am at Artpace.
- Featured Artists will be paid $150.
What do you need to know about the application?
- Applicants must be 18 or older and live in the San Antonio area.
- As an option, applicants may submit proposed designs for their CIU mural, but it is not required.
- Artpace staff will review the submissions and make the selections.
- The application deadline is 5pm on Monday, August 26, 2019.
- Selected Featured Artists will be notified by Thursday, September 12.
- If you need to withdraw your participation, we require notification by Friday, September 27, 2019.
Please note: Artists who applied to be a part of Chalk It Up in conjunction with Artpace’s 2019 and 2020 Open Calls, your applications will be considered along with new applicants. For confirmation of your Open Call 2019 and 2020 Chalk It Up application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 210.212.4900
Applications to be a Featured Artist at Chalk It Up 2019 are now closed. Check back again next year!
Chalk It Up With VIA
There’s a better way to move through Downtown, and it doesn’t involve hunting for parking. Take VIA Metropolitan Transit’s VIVA centro (Route 301) FARE FREE to Chalk It Up on Oct. 12. For more about riding VIVA, visit VIAinfo.net/VIVA.
Still Planning to Drive?
VIA Is your best bet to get to Artpace Chalk It Up, but below are the addresses for the closest parking options to the festival this year.
Houston Street Garage, 240 E Houston St, San Antonio, TX 78205
St. Mary’s Street Garage, 400 N St Mary’s St, San Antonio, TX 78205
LAZ Soledad St. Parking, 400 Soledad St, San Antonio, TX 78205